Saturday, September 22

Father of nations

So, this is what I came here for.

English class goes from 3-5pm. From 5-7, PMI hosts a weekly event called Focal Point, a forum that discusses locally relevant issues of the day with the attendees. Seven of my nine students stayed for Focal Point after my class was over, which was unprecedented. I was very happy to see them getting comfortable with PMI, and, as I soon learned, with each other. After a group game which they all played as a team, there was an open discussion on religion and spirituality. The good news was clearly shared, and many, many views were discussed and thought through. Afterwards, people stayed to chat and to continue to discuss the topic. I moved from my group to find five of my silent-in-class students clustered around a table, engaged in conversation! I couldn't believe it, but I like them, so I wanted to be a part of it. I pulled up a chair and joined their circle. As they talked and laughed and asked and understood, I noticed that even though we were out of English class, some of them were still trying to converse in English. When a break in conversation came, I asked, "So, do all of you know Hindi?" The answer was what I expected: "No, Ma'am." Some spoke some Hindi, some spoke a good amount, and others spoke none. I questioned them further, "So, do we all have different mother tongues?" (In India your first language is referred to as your 'mother tongue'.) Once they all stated the regions of their hometown, we realized it was true - none of them had learned the same first language. "So, let's do this," I said, "let's all write the same phrase in our respective languages!" They loved the idea, so we decided on "Where are you?" and passed the paper around the circle.
Ruchika is from Punjab.
Babita is from Raj'sthan.
Kavita is from Malyalam.
Athisu is from Nagaland.
Komal is from Pahari.
These places are spread all over India, and the languages do all sound different, even to an untrained ear (mine).
Here we were, six people from completely different backgrounds, with completely different languages, come together in one place where we teach, learn, discuss, and enjoy each other.
I was amazed and delighted to find friends among these students of mine. We're all of similar age, and surprisingly, have a good amount in common.
Go ahead, try asking me where I am in Malyala.
Regardless of how you ask the question, the answer is that I'm in Delhi, and I'm enjoying it completely.

Love from around the world,
जूली

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers