Thursday, September 13

thrill seeking and chai drinking

Culture:

It's constantly on my mind. The importances, the differences, the challenges, and the joys.

Tuesday was a special day. On Tuesday, the PMI staff all went together to an Indian ...

Amusement park.

correct. Amusement park. I didn't know they would have them here, either. Don't worry, on the way I saw two camels, an elephant (!!!) and three of the most beautiful and exotic temples I've ever seen, so it wasn't a total 'Murkafest.
The park was called World of Wonder, it cost us around $9 each to get in, and it looked very similar to an american theme park. Except that it was almost completely empty, and that it was still under construction. :) It was also fairly low budget, so there were no coasters - only fair-style stationary rides. You'd make the connection then, that the rides were puny and tame.
and you'd be wrong.
They are terrifying! Well, some of them are puny. But, since you don't wait in any line before getting on the ride and consequently don't get to see how they are going to operate, it's just a total gamble when you get on what the thing is actually going to do; you don't know if it will spin or drop or flip or what. Totally unpredictable. Also, I was never totally sure whether i should trust all the mechanisms and harnesses, so that was an added shade of terror. haha.
Another difference between American amusement parks and Indian ones is that American amusement parks don't have random huge playgrounds, paintball fields, or dance areas laced with sprinklers.

duh, the ladies dance while the men play paintball while the workers hammer the rebar. we are a big happy family.
All in all the day was great. It was fun getting to know PMI staff better, and even though the majority of the day wasn't characteristically Indian, I enjoyed taking in things about India that will help me assimilate better and sooner. I watched the road and tried to get used to driving on the left. I listened to  conversations in Hindi, trying to understand the types of sounds and the flow of sentences and conversations. It's amazing, too, how a language opens up to you when you know just a few key words.

Speaking of Hindi, I may have found a tutor to help me learn. It's a girl from my English class actually, and her name is Kavita. She is the sweetest, most responsive and attentive girl, and she took on herself to help me with some Hindi spontaneously after class one day. If you think of it, keep us on your hearts. I'd love to develop a close relationship with her and her friends, and be able to pour into their lives a little bit. She's the type of girl I think I could get through to, and I also think I'll have a really nice time getting to know her.

Today was really nice - I think I was abusing Indian culture by wearing kurtas that are as worn out as many of mine are, so Praise and I went out shopping :) I got some big flowy pants, which I found are called "Patiala". I also got one outfit that came as a set - complete with a scarf that matches the material of the patiala. I'm happy to have more options, and to work on introducing Indian things into my long-term wardrobe. Praise and I had a great time together at Kamla Nagar, the market I always used to come to for clothing before. It continues to feel so good to come back to a place that has already warmed my heart once.

In short, life here continues to be colorful, challenging, and just as I hoped it would be. It makes me feel happy and content and home, just like I remember it making me feel.

And I'm finally settled enough to have made my own chai. I tell you, life is good.

Love from Delhi, 
patiala-clad julie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers