Friday, October 19

Out of Focus

picture this:

I had a rough time getting out of bed this morning, and so I thought to myself, "self, you deserve a lazy day." So I put on my comfortable India pants and a t shirt, threw my hair back in a little baby bun, and slipped into my black old navy flip flops. Incidentally, in my slothfulness i forgot to put on deodorant. I realized it after i got out of the house and told myself I'd take care of it later. I went grocery shopping with Heather at the Exchange store, which has a lot more imported goods than most places. Our trip took a touch longer than i thought it would, so i was rushing to get to Pathshala, which got canceled, so i came back and cooked some lunch for me (complete with some aromatic garlic) in my kitchen without a fan. I had decided to go to the slum today to take pictures of our older kids' tutorship program, so I went out there and photographed the learners and also a clothing donation that we had today. On our way home we stopped with the CHEP volunteer girls to get some food and chai at a hole-in-the-wall "restaurant" (more like a glorified street cart). It was dingy and dirty and delicious. After a few more stops and shenanigans, we got home and I was feeling pretty energized, so i decided to do a really good workout to end my day.
Here i am, unwashed hair, too busy to remember deodorant, covered in slum grime, and post-difficult workout, ready to just get clean.
But tonight is the night that there is no water.

So, to the best of my knowledge, the Delhi system works like this: there is a water tank on the top of each building. In the morning, serviceworkers come and fill reservoirs in the ground which are connected to those tanks. To be sure you have water, you turn on a pump in the mornings which fills the tank using the water in the reservoirs. You can switch it on at any point in the day that you are running low, if you want to run the water purifier, or if you need to laundry or something. But this week is a Hindu festival, and our theory is that all the housewives are doing so much daily cleaning to prepare that there is no water left to use by the end of the day.
Oh, it's so disappointing and comedic at the same time!

As I'm sure you can imagine, I'm so gross.
As compensation for disgusting you with tales of my thoughtlessness and grime, here are some things you don't have to imagine!

I am kicking myself so hard for not making sure about the focus in the picture on the right. Other than the fact that it's a little soft, it's one of my favorites from today.
 These were two little Nandlal buddies who followed me around for a bit today. I love their quiet sweetnesses.
 certainly this is what the joy of learning looks like.



Prabin was lamenting on our way to the slum that he is going to be the LAST of his friends to marry. So, hey ladies! Look! He's pensive! He's goofy! He serves!  Come move to India and get him.
man, could i be a matchmaking service or what?
clothing donations - "who wants a t-shirt?"








What do I always say about handing off your camera? There was an eager CHEP volunteer who wanted to make sure I was photographically represented, so I let her give it a go... and there I am again, forever out of focus :)

look at her takin those clothes home for momma.



 There is truth in my life, there is rhythm in my life. No matter how grumpy or grimy or tired i am, i never forget that i want to be here.  I never forget the gifts of many who have helped me get here. I never tire of thanking our Father for you, for PMI, and for the sweet new generation of Indians i always fall in love with. The focus of my life, finally, is not on me; at last i feel so free to focus on the needs and hearts of others.

Love from Delhi,
Julie out of focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers