Tuesday, October 2

picture post!

Hey guys! So, I haven't been keeping up with my photos this month -- so I thought I'd go ahead and upload some so you could see what I've been talking about. 

This is our stair dog. I mentioned him awhile back - it's really funny to me that it's always the same dog that comes to stay in our stairwell. Nobody really likes him, but I do. He's not always here, but whenever we have a dog, it's him, just lounging.


This is the pizza i was craving the entire time I was sick. I didn't eat much during the bad parts of it, so the moment i felt i could stomach a meal i ordered it to be delivered to my door! Well, i called and they needed my phone number so i searched my room for half an hour to find where i put the tiny piece of paper that told me what my Indian phone number is because i forgot it and i didn't tape it anywhere like i was going to and i couldn't get ahold of anyone else who had my number but finally i found it, and THEN i called them back and told them to bring me the plainest pizza they had. They said, we will but only if you give us $1.60 to cover the pizza and the delivery guy. So i said MONEY IS NO OBJECT I AM STARVING UP IN HERE. 
They came and I ate it. It was delicious.

This is Prakash and Joy being buddies. They were climbing around on their terrace before Prakash's birthday party, and I thought it was awfully cute. 

This is Prakash playing the gkeetar with passion, like he always does.  He also believes that if you add fifty decibels to your vocal volume, it is the equivalent of singing one octave higher. 
This happens often. 






This is Joy. She has more girl contained in her two year old self than I have ever contained in my being in all my years. She wears lipstick more frequently than i do. She is also seen more frequently than me in my own heels (as shown). She runs in them. She struts in them. She jumps in them. She knows her way around the life of a lady, and to be honest, I'm impressed (and frightened) by it.
 
Now, here's a very cute thing. It's Prakash taking the glasses off my face in 2010 and Prakash taking the glasses off my face tonight. oh, don't you love him?


Here's another REALLY good thing. Remember the guy in the top photo? He's the first Delhiite I ever met, and the first Asheesh I ever met. I still think about him, and how he helped me, and how i hope he found the Truth. The bottom photo is the Asheesh in my life now!
 [edit:: that is Asheesh's cousin, Kevin. oops!]
 Asheesh is the son of Ashok, one of the only PMI staff members who has remained from 2010 until now. His wife Rashmi was pregnant with Asheesh when I was here two years ago, and look at this kid now. I can't wait to watch him grow as I get to stay here and be a part of PMI and of the Family.

Speaking of really good things from two years ago, I found something exciting today! So, in 2010, I was an intern doing anything and everything that I could be useful doing. I was often sent along with Prabin to do Delhi University campus outreach - inviting brand new students to come to PMI and be a part of the Freshers program. Some said OK, some were interested in the free English camp, and some blew us off. It was not my favorite work, in fact, I was pretty uncomfortable approaching these overwhelmed new students and bothering them with one more thing to think about. But today as I was going through old photos to organize the PMI archives, I saw some from October of that year of the freshers programs and outings - a couple months after I had gone home. I saw that as a result of the work we did in the campuses, a good number of students came to PMI, were interested, and joined the weekly programs. I saw faces in those pictures from 2010 that I recognize as faithful volunteers I see today. It made me really stop and think: even the work I did two years ago that I didn't enjoy and didn't think I was particularly good at had an impact in these volunteers' lives that is continuing to this day. PMI is pouring into them, and they hear the Truth on a regular basis. 
Friends, this means something. Indeed; it means everything.

.....

Now, I'm just going to leave you with this, 
because there's nothing i could say to improve it:


Love from Delhi,
Julie's glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers