Monday, May 17

Day one.

Yay, I’ve made it! I’m writing from my hotel, electricity flickering, fan blazing, but can’t post this tonight since I have no internet. I tried to call, mom, I promise!

Right before the landing the flight into Delhi, my heart began to race. I’m really here.

A couple of other fun things went on immediately prior to landing. The first was that I looked down on fireworks as we came upon Dehli. How fortunate I thought I was to catch it, until I saw four more instances of fireworks elsewhere. My kind seatmate (another Indian friend who didn’t share his name) told me that, since April and May is wedding season in India, there are always fireworks going on at midnight here around this time of year, and he pointed out all the brightly lit and highly populated courtyards – a LOT of weddings tonight, folks J.

The other fun thing that happened before we landed our crazy long and turbulent plane ride was that I checked out the temperature. 100 degrees at 11:30 ain’t too shabby, folks! On the drive back with Raj and Peter, though, it didn’t bother me too much. I’ve handled heat before.

I haven’t seen much of India yet, but the one thing I can say for it is that it’s hard on cars! As in many foreign countries, lane markers are completely obsolete, and red lights are more like suggestions. Let me assure you, I am NOT exaggerating. Haha. I also saw plenty of horses, (another perk of wedding season – the groom rides in on a horse… presumably specifically white, since that was the only color I saw) stray dogs, donkeys, and Peter even was kind enough to point out, “hey, there’s your first cow!” He cracked up at himself when he told me that the phrase “holy cow” takes on a totally different meaning here. Good joke, Peter. I’m also looking forward to camels, elephants, and monkeys in the streets of India. “domestic, of course,” Peter assures me. Awesome. J

I just tried to wash my face and had a mini-panic attack, but have unpacked a little better and found most of what I was looking for J so far, the only thing I think I’ve left at home is my razor… an item miniscule in importance compared to plenty of other things I could have forgotten! I wish I could unpack all the way, but Peter told me they’re trying to transfer me out of the hotel at some point soon, so I figure I’d better not get it all out. There is a young man named Josh coming short term like me who will be here on the 20th, and two girls are coming from the states on June second. The three of them will be great company for me during my time here!

Peter told me that here in India, we operate on IST- Indian Standard Time (more affectionately known as Indian STRETCHED Time). Much like in Latin cultures, often a gathering scheduled for 5 will start around 5:30 or 5:45. Also, “in Delhi we start late and go late,” he said. That means nothing opens in Delhi until like 11 AM.

Yeah… I can dig that!

I feel uniquely privileged to be included in the work that’s being done here. Our Father’s love is truly extravagant, isn’t it? I’m touring South Delhi tomorrow with Heather and Peter, and am meeting their team on Tuesday.

Now, to beat the jet lag! I’m full of energy, but I guess it’s around 1:30 in the morning here, so I’m hitting the sack. I can’t wait to get started.

With love from Delhi,

Julie.

1 comment:

  1. So great to hear all these details Julie! I found this post after I found your next one. Oh Mommy! I'm just learning blog stuff. Lovin' you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers