Tuesday, May 18

housings, potatoes, and drivers.

The internet still isn’t working in my hotel room, despite the Ethernet cable I received from the front desk. It doesn’t really matter though, since I’m moving to a house with internet, of which I’m renting the second floor (really, the third and top floor, but we count british here… ground, 1, 2). The great part is that I get like 4x the space, a real window with real sunshine and not elevator cables outside it, an A/C, a living room, half the distance to the Malakars and no intrusions on my privacy for probably a third of the price. I move in tomorrow. Score.

Had my first taste of in-country Indian food today, and it seemed to agree with me just fine :) I now have come to a full realization of and appreciation for rice! I never used to like it, but I find it’s a great supplement and neutralizer to the nine hundred million spices they use here. I decided to start in on my potatoes before everything else, thinking they would be the mildest… wrong! Whew, one bite had my eyes starting to water! But paired with rice and chapata (the tortilla-like bread served with my meal) the spices are contained and kept from raging within you like an army of fire ants whose clever pile-home has just been smooshed by a four year old. I think I may need to watch my eating speed here, though. Normally I’m a really fast eater – I think it’s a Terrall trait – but after nomnoming through some Indian food I’d started to feel a bit lightheaded, and then nauseated. Haha, I calmed it down and gave my esophagus a rest, and it liked me much better after a few minutes. Anyway, I liked it. Hooray!

I know… I’m heavy on the details and that can get boring. I’m sorry, I’ll try to stop it. Highlights, woman! Hit the highlights for these people! Okay. Highlights are:











Joy and Prakash… little treasures. Prakash, I’m told, doesn’t take to new people very kindly at all. We hit it off quite well, though, as we went walking around the Delhi mall with his parents today. The two of them were quite surprised, and we were all three delighted.

I’m so excited to spend more time with these precious people, and to meet the whole team tomorrow morning. Wish me luck at the ATM -- the first two I’ve tried have been out of order :)

Oh oh oh! One more highlight…








yes, they keep their drivers on the right here. First time I’ve experienced it – totally threw me off for a bit!

I. love. it. here.

3 comments:

  1. i. love. you
    and reading about your exciting life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love your details Julie. Please don't stop. We love reading your blogs and are waiting for more. It is always so great to get a glimpse of what you are doing! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are loving it there! I noticed your razor upstairs the other day and hoped it wasn't the one you were wanting to take. Hope you are able to get another. Still lovin' you. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Followers