Thursday, June 3

thinking fondly of the States.

okay. i know being vain is petty and immature, but sometimes i wish i had perfect skin, flowing hair, nice teeth and a naturally photographable demeanor. tonight i was browsing the internet waiting up for my dear friends in Zimbabwe so we can skype, and i saw some gorgeous pictures of friends of mine. (not to mention some really terrible ones of me! haha) i just felt really down on myself, and that's frustrating to me. i'm here, in India, doing things i love, meeting people i love, working on things that reflect my every heartbeat, and still i'm caught up in the prettiness problem. of course everyone has their own beauty and charm, but that's hard to remember when you're popping zits. oh well, i guess it's nothing a little photoshop won't fix.
well, i have new roommates today! Tiffany and Erica are sisters from Austin, TX, and they're both alike and different. they're sweet-spoken, polite and frugal girls with hearts for missions that are quite evident. Tiffany is the elder of the two. She's inquisitive, compassionate, and very much ready to serve others. Erica is younger, she's twenty years old. She's quiet and intellectual, and seems very self-sustaining. i like them very well; they're easy girls to live with.
the masters college team is also here now! they're great, they're verrrry chill. they have taken over the english classes and are doing such a great job. i've really enjoyed conversations with them about photography and life in India. I am still hoping to be as much of a help to them as possible.
so, i'm at this point in my life where i just... need chocolate. i don't even know what it is, but i picked up chocolate cookies and chocolate ice cream at the shop the other day and they are rocking my world! i've always been a vanilla gal, but right now the combination of sugar, rich taste, and that little kick of caffeine is what's getting me through! i guess i'm in a little bit of a slump... think of me if you would - i'm hoping to run on my father's strength. trying and trying here has left me quite tired, and while i can never EVER nap in the states - no matter how hard i keep trying, i find myself needing a mid-day snooze here to keep me from feeling a like a little introverted grumplestiltskin. i'm facing the facts; i'm getting tired.
i also hope to soon find more of a place to fit in so that i can really help PMI. i like what i can do to help Peter and Heather out, but i don't fit in very easily to the categories of english teaching, campus ministry, or slum work that PMI divides itself into. I actually have not been to the Nandlal slum yet, and going is becoming one of my greatest desires to fulfill before leaving. i hope to see it soon!
my chocolate is calling me. off to an evening of Bible study and fellowship!
with love,
grumplestiltskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers